Around 1998 4ZZZ, 4MBS, and Family Radio started broadcasting from the one installation at Mt Coot-tha. Prior to this 4MBS and Family Radio had merely leased land beside 4ZZZ but then Brisbane City Council decided that having three transmission towers and huts in the one place was an eyesore and encouraged the three radio stations to share facilities. This resulted in the three radio stations developing a company called Broadcasting Park to negotiate with the Council. This company consisted of three shares, one owned by each member station.
Alleged child abuse during UN peacekeeping mission - and more 10AM Zedlines
Brisbane community garden labelled a hazard
A Salisbury mother is furious after the Brisbane City Council asked her to remove her community garden due to it being a tripping hazard.
Pia Deerain said the garden, which extended into the council-owned “footway” outside her house, was created with the “heart and soul” of children in the area.
Councillor Steve Griffiths said he supported residents wanting community gardens as long as they were accessible, well-maintained and were not a safety risk.
“Council is currently creating a simple set of guidelines to make it easier for residents to undertake garden planting outside their fence line,” he said.
Queensland Scouts not returning to Kallangur Den
Kallangur Scouts Den was last year demolished, because it was unsafe due to being structurally unsound and asbestos, leaving the Kallangur group having to commute 10 minutes to a disused Den in Petrie.
Many of the families rely on public transport or walking to get to scouts in Kallangur where most of the families live.
But council appears not to be actively looking for a new home and a spokesperson from Scouts Queensland says that the organisation has not put in an expression to move back to Kallangur.
Infant ward closure in Western Australia
A special infant ward at Princess Margaret Hospital in Western Australia has been permanently closed, despite earlier assurances by the hospital that it was only closing for the Christmas holiday period.
Up to 50 staff who worked at Ward 8A were told the news at a meeting held on Wednesday, with some staff now fearing for their job security.
Ward 8A was closed on Christmas Eve under the public guise of only being temporarily shut down for the holiday season.
A nurse who spoke to PerthNow shortly before Wednesday’s meeting said she was bitterly disappointed with how staff had been treated over the closure.
Sydney New Year's Eve party rips off revellers
THE organisers of a New Year’s Eve party, at Sydneys Royal Botanical Gardens is being branded a “disaster” by disappointed revellers who paid hundreds to attend.
Perturbed partygoers who attended New Year’s Eve: Above the Harbour have complained of substandard food, queues of up to three hours, a lack of toilets and obstructed views of Sydney’s famous fireworks.
While they have been offered $100 refunds by the organisers, Mothership Media, many have said they will refuse the offer in the hope of a getting their full ticket cost reimbursed.
Alleged child abuse in UN peacekeeping mission
The United Nations peacekeeping mission in the Central African Republic has been hit with allegations of child sexual abuse.
An independent review accused the UN of grossly mishandling allegations of child sexual abuse in 2013 and 2014 by international peacekeepers in the region.
The mission in CAR, known as MINUSCA, stated it was "investigating fresh allegations concerning both exploitation, abuse and other misconduct by UN peacekeepers and international forces in Bangui".
LA natural gas-leak affecting residents
Governor Jerry Brown has declared a Los Angeles-area natural gas leak that has been sickening area residents an emergency, and vowed to protect public health and safety.
Southern California Gas Co, which operates the well that is the site of the underground methane leak, is trying to stop it by drilling a relief well to reach a damaged pipeline, then inject fluids and cement into it.
The leak was discovered on October 23 at a well used for gas storage in Aliso Canyon just outside Los Angeles's Porter Ranch neighbourhood. It forced thousands of residents to relocate over Christmas.