Lisa Mitchell & Dustin Tebbutt @ The Triffid

Distant calls not so far away

Aussie folk musos Lisa Mitchell and Dustin Tebbutt lit up Newstead venue The Triffid earlier this month with their 'Distant Call’ collaborative double headline tour. The past six months both artists have been working hard performing individually around the world supporting their new albums. Both talented in their own right these two aussie folk starts put on a beautiful performance that incorporated their solo music and a few re-worked covers.

The pair were late to start due to technical difficulties; there was about fifteen minutes where stage crew were hastily attempting to fix things on stage, but the audience were patient and by the time Lisa and Dustin started the initial problems were forgotten. The double headline opened with their cover of ‘Innerbloom’ by RUFUS that was released as a tour teaser on their socials before the shows. This was the perfect way to showcase how well the two different folk artists can collaborate as they performed the rendition flawlessly and had the crowd in silence eagerly waiting for the next song.

Between a few beautifully curated cover songs they each performed their own recent music with Dustin playing tracks from his 2016 album ‘First Light’, as well as, his recent single ‘Atlas In Your Eye’ which had the audience singing along. Lisa only released her new album ‘Warriors’ in February 2017 saying that these shows will be her first time touring songs from the album. She played the title track ‘Warriors’, ‘The Boys’ and ‘Warhol’ all adding to the relaxed, acoustic atmosphere of the night.

You would not have guessed that this was the first time Dustin and Lisa have toured together, as they accompanied each other through their solo tracks and had a chemistry on stage that reflected genuine enjoyment. The ‘Distant Call’ tour was one hundred minutes of impressive folk sounds and a friendly vibe that resonated throughout the night.

-Brianna Denmeade

Zed Facts

After 4ZZZ was evicted from its UQ premises in 1988, staff temporarily broadcast from the Mount Coot-tha transmission tower, using a cassette player which was set up to go straight to air.